A beautiful home is a place that is ideal to relax after a long day at work. It is therefore important to ensure that you give your home the décor that it deserves. There are a few items that you can add or change in your home and your house will be transformed giving it that wow look. The advantage of designing the décor of your home is that it will reflect your personality and you will not incur the extra cost of paying a professional to do it. Additionally, it is fun too! If you decide to decorate your home on your own, where should you start? At times you postpone doing it, but the secret is buying one item at a time and placing it at a vantage point to add décor to your house. Below is a guide that will help you in your noble endeavor to give your home that look you have desired for ages.
One of the first things that a visitor will notice when they enter your house is the rug(s) that you have. There are many different types of rugs
- Animal Skins
When it comes to rugs, you have unlimited options for the kind of carpet that you can buy. Although wool and synthetic rugs are the preference of many people, you may decide to be more adventures and use other types. Just make sure that whichever rug you choose, complements the décor of your house. Being a bit different and original in the type and size of the mats you use can make your home the envy of your friends and neighbors.
Books and Bookshelves
All of us love reading, or maybe not. But whether you like reading or not, bookshelves are excellent in adding that alluring look into your house. Bookshelves are obviously where you place your books but do you know you can set very decorative flower vases atop your bookshelves? Books too can be very fitting home decors. They can:
- Be placed on the coffee table- to add some height
- Be a great conversation starter
- Read when you want to relax and unwind
- Add beauty and class to the house
A picture speaks a thousand words, right? Therefore let these words be expressed artistically. Photos are great if not the most significant ways of preserving memories of happy times with our loved ones. There are some ways that you can use to add that artistic touch to your picture and picture frames, therefore, enhancing your house’s décor
- Try using different colors on the frames of the pictures. This will not only improve the appearance of the picture, but it will also break the monotony.
- Use different sized picture frames. The picture frame must not be proportional in size to the picture. A great way to achieve a beautiful effect is by using a large flame on a smaller sized photo.
- Have you ever tried hanging a black and white photograph on a wall? It looks amazing.
- Hang pictures and photographs in a hallway at different eye levels. You may decide to use an up and down alternating pattern, an ascending or descending pattern. It works wonders for your home decor.
Apart from being very efficient in carrying different things at the same time, trays are also perfect home décor accessories. You might decide to use different types of trays as décor depending on the general theme of your house. You might use
- Silverware trays
- Wooden trays-very classy
- Multicolored trays- use these when the theme of your home is bright, or you want to add some warmth to your living area. Make sure though that the tray does not look out of place.
- Use trays to place small and essential things like the remote, your cell phone, car keys, home keys and other personal accessories like a watch. This means you will not misplace them and you will also look very organized!
In times past, plants were seen as objects to keep the old people busy. Nowadays, however, that has changed, and plants are essential parts of home décor. Plants add life to your house while flowers add beauty and a natural sweet smelling aroma. When going the flower and plant way in decorating your home, there are some points to remember
- Choose plants that do well indoors.
- If your favorite plant does not do well indoors, place it where natural light can reach it-like the balcony or near a window.
- Remember to take care of the plants by watering and feeding them regularly to avoid withering and to extend their lifespan.
- Replace old plants with younger healthier ones. The younger plants have that glow that is perfect for your home décor.
Ceiling Fans are a necessary evil especially in at those times when temperatures are soaring. They are also a nightmare for interior decorators since they tend to mess with the décor of the house. However, this should not be the case as you can use the fans as home décor accessories. Here is how you can do so
- Use clear bladed fans. This will make sure that the ceiling fan will remain concealed thus will not affect the décor.
- Use chandeliers beneath the fan. This will shift the focus from the fan to the beautiful chandelier. Use lighted chandeliers to enhance the décor
- Use ceiling fans with blades that are of the same color as the ceiling. This will make the fan disappear.’
- Many fans are very beautiful in design. Shop around for one that will complement the general décor of your house.
- Different fans are fit for different rooms so choose the appropriate fan for each room in the house.
Windows are perhaps the most important considerations if you are concerned with letting enough light into your house. Window coverings including drapes, blinds or curtains, therefore, become essential home décor accessories. To enhance that look, use
- Long drapes which are perfect especially if you have a wall to wall carpet. They complement each other giving your home a beautiful décor
- Color to your advantage. Use drapes and curtains that will bring out the best in your sofas and vice versa regarding the visual appeal.
- Play around with plain colored drapes and curtains of different hues. Also, try multicolored drapes and curtains-you might be shocked by what you discover.
- If your windows are small, hang your curtains high above the frame of the window, this will give the allure of a more extended window.
- If you fancy window nets, give them a try. I bet this will give your house a décor boost.
Home décor is something that every person should take seriously. More often than not, people will judge you not only by your appearance but by how your house looks. Having some tricks up your sleeves does not hurt when it comes to giving your home that elegant look. Using drapes, rugs, books, and other accessories are all easy ways of ending up with a superbly decorated house