The IELTS exam is also required for migration to abroad countries like Australia, Canada, UK, the US, Canada, and New Zealand. Each country has its predetermined IELTS requirements, as well as score requirements. IELTS migration score requirements for Australia is 6, whereas for New Zealand it is 6.5. Only IELTS Life Skills (U.K), and IELTS General Training are accepted for migration purposes.
IELTS For Migration to Australia
Australia’s Department of Home Affairs demands proof of English proficiency from all visa and permanent residency applicants. There is a minimum IELTS score requirement set by the professional associations.
Test Format: Australia accepts the IELTS General Training or IELTS Academic score by applicants of permanent residency. However, those interested in professional registration/working must present IELTS Academic scores.
IELTS Score for Australia: In Australia’s General Skilled Migration Program, candidates are required to achieve 65 points in the Point Assessment Grid. An IELTS score adds up to this assessment – the higher your IELTS score, the more points are added to your assessment grid.
IELTS score descriptors:
- 6.0 or more (Competent) : 0
- 7.0 or more (Proficient): 10
- 8.0 or more (Superior): 20
Test Centers: There are over 50 IELTS test centers established all across Australia. Candidates can fix a date at their convenience.
Points to remember:
- IELTS scores are valid for two years, but for Skilled Migration Applicants, IELTS scores stay within the validity period for three years since the result declaration day.
- As per the Australian Immigration System, the IELTS score requirement differs for each profession. For example, applicants who wish to pursue a career in Engineering need a minimum score of 6.0, whereas a career in Nursing will require an IELTS score of at least 7.0.
IELTS For Migration to New Zealand
New Zealand Immigration requires IELTS test scores for candidates aspiring to migrate there. For visa application, IELTS is accepted by the immigration offices as proof of English proficiency.
Test Format: Both IELTS General and IELTS Academic module scores are accepted by Immigration New Zealand.
IELT Score for New Zealand: New Zealand Immigration splits migrating applicants into four sections: Skilled Migrant, Business, Parent, and Residence from Work.
The test score requirement of each are:
- Skilled Migrant: 6.5 in the IELTS General or IELTS Academic module for the main applicant, 5 for their partner/children.
– Employee of a Relocating Business Category: 5 in the General or Academic Module.
– Entrepreneur Residence or Entrepreneur Work Visa: 4 in the General or Academic Module.
– Investor: 3 in the General or Academic Module
- Parent: 4 in the General or Academic Module.
- Residence from Work: 5 in the IELTS General or IELTS Academic module.
Test Date: There are over 16 test centers established all across New Zealand. Candidates can fix an IELTS test date at their convenience.
IELTS for Migration to the United Kingdom
To migrate to the United Kingdom, it is imperative for candidates to have a command of the English language and proof of its proficiency. The UK Visas and Immigration or UKVI accepts IELTS Academic, General Training, and Life Skills as scores as a benchmark as aforementioned. IELTS UKVI is managed by the conducting bodies: The British Council, IDP: IELTS Australia, and Cambridge Assessment English. Presently, very few test centers are offering IELTS UKVI(Academic) exams, and one of them is India.
Test Format: United Kingdom Visas and Immigration accepts all three available modules: IELTS Academic, IELTS General Training, and IELTS Life Skills as proof of English proficiency.
Minimum Score: IELTS’ minimum score requirement slides between 4 to 7 on the scoreboard.
Test Date: There are over 100 test centers established all across the U.K. Candidates can fix a date at their convenience.
Points to remember:
- The addition to the IELTS test, Life Skills, has been adopted by the UK Visa and Immigration and all candidates are required to take it, in addition to the other two tests.
- IELTS Life Skills is a single test, required for candidates who need to prove their listening and speaking skills at levels A1 or B1 of the Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR).
IELTS For Migration to Canada
As per the rules of Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC), individuals who are applying for permanent residency must have demonstrable English proficiency.
Test Format: Canada accepts the General Training Program test scores.
Minimum score: Canada sets no hard limits on the IETLS score. Each person is tested on a sliding scale and the selection depends upon the requirements of one’s visa, and/or employment status.
Test Date: There are over 150 test centers established all across Canada. Candidates can fix a date at their convenience.
Points to remember:
- The test must be scheduled with an IRCC approved agency and the cost must be paid in full.
- Candidates must lodge their results with the Express Entry Profile and adhere to the system requirements.
- Candidates must include the results with their application (Failure to do it will result in complete rejection of the application.
IELTS migration requirements vary in each country. Candidates should check the requirements before applying.