Patio doors typically fall into two categories: patio garden or patio sliding. While they both serve a similar purpose, it’s a combination of form, function, and features that make each one unique, and will change your home living experience. Residential spaces serve many different needs, and sometimes these needs change throughout the seasons and over the years, so finding the right patio door matters.
Patio sliding doors: more than meets the eye
Sliding doors are a common and reliable choice when considering a patio door. Found in many modern homes, they offer a contemporary look that suits every style. Before you invest in a patio sliding door, however, there are some things to consider.
- Sliding doors take up very little space and blend seamlessly into the wall of your home.
- These patio doors are very energy efficient when made with layered, low-emissivity coated glass.
- Patio sliding doors offer almost unobstructed views and let in a considerable amount of light.
- Because of the mechanism, sliding doors are prone to wear and tear, and replacement parts can be expensive.
- If not installed correctly, patio sliding doors can have seals break and frames warp.
When considering a patio sliding door, the long-term success will depend on the manufacturer and installer. Due diligence will pay off as you look for companies like Centennialwindows.com who offer full service, from manufacturing to installation, and will stand by their product with a lifetime warranty.
Patio garden doors: a timeless classic
If there was one word that could be used to describe patio garden doors, it would most likely be elegance. Defined by their distinctive double-door swinging style, this member of the French door family is both beautiful and functional. However, like patio sliding doors, there are some things to consider before purchasing patio garden doors for your home.
- With their simple profile and seal, patio garden doors are effective at regulating temperature in your home year-round.
- This style of patio door operates on a common hinge system, making it easy to operate with low maintenance requirements.
- With a simple locking mechanism, patio garden doors are secure and reliable.
- Patio garden doors take up floor space when opening and closing.
- These patio doors could be more expensive than other styles.
Like patio sliding doors, the success of your garden door will largely depend on who is manufacturing and installing it. Make sure to look out for a company who uses quality materials and professional installers to get the job done right. With only occasional maintenance, a garden door can last a lifetime and be a staple door that defines your home.
When looking at a replacement patio door, which style to choose will often come down to personal preference. Both garden patio and garden sliding doors, when made with quality materials, offer energy efficiency and security. What makes them different, however, is their form and function. If you are looking for a low-profile option, then a patio sliding door will suit your home and meet your needs. If you are looking for a door that’s easy to operate while still adding elegance to your home, then a garden patio door is for you.
Whichever style you choose, the right patio door can make all the difference in improving the quality and comfort of your home.