Everyone would always want their homes to be as presentable as possible. This is why many really invest not only in the interior of their houses but as well as the exterior. Getting indulge in amazing outdoor furniture and even garage doors could be one’s weakness. And, if you are very sensitive to how “the outside of your house” would look like, you should know by now that your garage door plays a role as well. It can surely add amazing looks but can also ruin it in case you are not able to choose which type will suit your home’s motif and style.
Now, if you are curious about the types of garage doors available in the market or you are thinking of changing the current one you are using, surely, you will learn a lot from this article as we are about to discuss those basic types and even add some information about garage door maintenance.
What Are The Different Types Of Garage Doors?
The same with other things, garage doors also came in different styles and types. If you only knew about this by now, you could probably be shocked! Well, we got you covered because we have some details in store for you. There are actually three basic types and you are about to learn about those on the succeeding paragraphs.
Swing-Up Garage Doors
The “Swing-Up” type of garage doors are often called canopy or overhead doors. This type is the usual and the most common. This type has a single panel which can be tilted upward and downward with the aid of torsion springs installed into it.
What Are The Advantages of Swing-Up Garage Doors?
- Swing-Up garage doors are usually the cheapest among the many varieties of garage doors out there.
- You have nothing to worry much about maintenance since this only has a few moving components – only torsion springs and cables which are too easy to replace.
How About the Disadvantage?
- It could be risky for vehicles to be parked near the garage door. This might cause damages.
Sectional or Roll Up Garage Doors
Though Swing-Up garage doors are the most common and most used, you can deny that the Sectional ones are the most popular. This type has three to eight sections moving in tracks supporting it through a curve.
The Perks of Using the Sectional Type of Garage Doors
- The door width is truly maximized.
- You can avoid accidents of garage doors suddenly falling down.
How About the Drawbacks?
- Limitation in the storage space of garage ceilings due to the garage door’s supporting brackets.
- Since this has a lot of moving parts compared to the first type, this is a bit harder to maintain and install. It could also be expensive.
Swing-Out Garage Doors
The third type of garage door to be explained here is the “Swing-Out” garage door. Compared to the first two, “Swing-Out” garage doors will suit the retro or vintage type of houses. Usually, this fits into the wooden style. This is the “not-so-used” type as it requires manual operation. Well, the installation of automated doors is possible but it could be so expensive.
- This type also has a few moving components. If you would like one, you only need to deal with latches and hinges and this can be handled easily by most owners.
- Your security could be at risk.
- Since this requires manual operation, it could be difficult for the owner to do the opening and closing of the garage door from time to time.
- This type of garage door has few clearances. Therefore, any obstructions like snow must be cleared.
What Should You Do To Maintain Or Repair Your Garage Door?
According to garage door repair surrey there are a lot of usual maintenance practices and even repair ideas. Here are some.
- You need to wipe the sensors from time to time to remove any dust.
- Also, you must try lubricating the screws and chains with grease.
- Inspection of rubber components.
- Bolts and brackets must be checked to ensure that those were setup tight.
- If you notice damages, do not try DIY practices. Always seeks guidance from professionals with full knowledge.